Monday, April 30, 2012

Where were the bodies?

Here's a shot of Curley investigating the roadside during a pit stop about 35 miles East of Flagstaff. Maybe you can just barely make out the San Franciso Peaks in the background. The highest one has snow on it.

One of the the things I found striking during our trip across the country was the lack of road kill. I might have seen three dead deer on my 16 mile commute to work back home. In 2200 miles, I saw one dead deer and no live ones. There were maybe three dead coyotes and several armadillos, but that was it. Driving in the East we'd see all manner of wildlife, dead and alive. I did finally see a small herd of pronghorn antelope just after we pulled out from the location above but I expected to see much more.

Where we are parked is a little different. In the morning there many Gambel's quail foraging around the area. Every day so far, I've heard coyotes a couple of hundred yards down the hill. We have to keep the pets inside at night or they'll be coyote fodder. We have mockingbirds back home but this place is loaded with them but I have yet to see a roadrunner, which are supposed to be common. I'm hoping to see elk and more pronghorn. My cousin brought home pictures of a golden eagle that she saw yesterday. It was just sitting on a fence post along the road.

The weather has been just perfect so far. Days reach the mid to upper 70's and the nights cool off to the low to mid 40's. It's calm in the morning but by afternoon the wind starts to pick up. I've had my awning out to shield from the effects of the morning sun. This morning I came out to find that it had started to tear away from its mounting on the side of the motorhome. I don't think there's any fixing it so it looks like it's time to replace it with new fabric. That's a two or three person job but I think we can handle it.

We've been catching up on chores and I still have a bunch of cleaning to do. But we're about ready to do day trips in the car to see some of the local sights. We're about an hour from Jerome, an old mining town and about the same from Sedona, home of the red rocks. It'll be fun to start seeing what we came for.

No comments:

Post a Comment