Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Baby's got new shoes

Well, it's time to enter what I hope is the final page of the tire saga. After spending much of yesterday calling and pricing and comparing, I finally ordered four new tires to go across the rear of the coach. I picked them up and had them mounted today.
It's an interesting, and somewhat frustrating, experience to have to fit new tires in mid-trip. The RV blogs are full of stories, and a little information, about what to buy or not. But out on the road, choice of brand is very restricted. It is largely restricted to what brands are warehoused in the area, thus enabling the availability of the chosen size. I was open to many brands but the only available ones were Goodyear and Michelin. While I was attracted to the Michelins, they were $100 more per tire. That just wasn't in the travel budget. That left the Goodyear's, but which ones? I was offered the G670 RV tire and also the G647 truck tire. I went on line and compared them and I was ready to pay the extra $50 per tire if the 670's really looked to be superior. In the end, though, I decided that the 670's were Goodyear's attempt to benefit from the RV buyer's willingness to pay more for a purpose branded product.
The two tires are very similar in specifications. The 647's have 3/32" more tread depth and they also have a blockier tread pattern. They have a M&S designation due to the tread pattern. They are the tire that might be mounted on a UPS truck.
I bought them from the local Summit Automotive branch. They had never sold a tire of that size before and when the tires came in, they realized that they could not mount them. They called me and then called another local tire service center to get them mounted. Unfortunately, this meant I had to carry them up the road to the other business. These young men did a very good job and soon had us on the road.

I think I did the best I could given the limitations of the situation and I'm satisfied with my choices. I would warn anyone reading this that I took a very large risk by continuing to drive the coach with the blown tire. I would not recommend this to anyone. I took a chance and got very lucky.
The other takeaway from this is to not start on trip if you have any question about the condition of your tires. It is far, far easier to source and install tires in your home territory than it is hundreds of miles away.
As a postscript, I would add that I feel that my ill advised entry into the washed out campground and the drive through the rock field to get out is what did in the tire. It was two years old and in otherwise good condition. It had been removed and checked over by a truck tire service center in Burlington before we left. I believe it suffered a rock bruise in the sidewall getting out of the campground. It blew out within two miles of leaving the campground. When I first examined it upon hearing the explosion, it appeared normal and was not hotter than its mate. While I had a tire pressure monitoring system, a TST, I was unable to get the monitor to correctly read the sensors, so I was running blind. I WILL fix that!
Now, on to new, and safer, adventures.

1 comment:

  1. Hee...oh you engineer....did you bring your calipers with you, too? I'm picturing the old tires as coffee tables, with round glass on top, and an oak or cherry base for each...something that would compliment the round shape and mesh with the worn tread....we could start a HOW project for 'em!

    ReplyDelete