Friday, August 3, 2012

Critters


Not too clear a shot but I spotted this coyote coming up the hill through the yard the other evening. We have several of them in the immediate area and I see one or two about twice a week. I often hear them late at night or early in the morning yipping away on one of the surrounding hills. They don't bother us any and it's fun to see them but we have to always be on guard to keep the pets inside at night. The most we've seen at one time is four but there's probably at least twice that number around us. I believe from the sightings and the howling that they come through just about every night. The press portrays the coyote as a sneaky, slinking creature but these animals just exude a confidence and as presence that is impressive. They know just where they are and what the environment around them is, whether prospective meals or possible threats, and they act accordingly.

One of the things that keeps them around is the quantity of food available. We have lots of rabbits, both cottontails and jackrabbits. I can sit on the back deck in the evening and spot anywhere from a half to two dozen rabbits foraging in the field below. And boy, do they run when a coyote comes through, although I've only seen one actual chase. And that was really no contest, with the coyote giving up pretty quickly. We also have a lot of Gambel's quail and while they roost as high as they can get in the stunted trees, they're still fair game for the coyote. Coyotes also eat lizards, of which there are tons, and mice and pack rats. We don't have much of a problem with mice and rats because we keep the feed in rodent proof containers and the cats are always on guard.



For as dry as it is, I'm surprised by the numbers of birds I see. There's a resident flock of cowbirds but also more attractive species. I've seen bluebirds and blue mockingbirds and orioles and hummingbirds. I think I may put up a hummer feeder. There are lots of mockingbirds and one has staked out the back yard as his territory and proclaims it every night from the top of the basketball goal. I got a new app for the iPad called iBird West to help me identify the ones I hadn't seen before.

The day before yesterday it rained for about an hour early in the evening. It was enough to partially fill the pond (tank) at the bottom of the hill. Later on I went to the door and the air was filled with the sound of frogs. It was like a concert. A little later, after the rain stopped, the chorus ended and I haven't heard it since, even though there's still water in the tank. We still desperately need rain and I'll have to go into town tomorrow with the truck and fill up the portable 300 gallon tank.

The other day I was told that the rainy season also brings out another critter. Tarantulas. I haven't seen one yet but the neighbors think they have a nest in their yard as they are seeing them often now. They're usually spotted crossing the road in the evening. I'd like to see one long enough to get some pictures. I'm not afraid of them but they are creepy.

One critter we don't have here is scorpions. I don't know why 'cause they're found not too far away but the climate just isn't quite right for them. It needs to be a little dryer and hotter. I'm just glad I don't have to shake everything out before putting it on.

Surprisingly, I haven't seen more than two or three snakes, and then it's on the road. I haven't seen a single one here in the yard or field. I'd like to see more but I'd have to be out wandering in the hills more and that's not a lot of fun around here.

Today we're supposed to be making a trip to town to check the mail, get some supplies and go to a gem and mineral show. We have to pick up the mail from a PO box in the neighboring town about 10 miles away. There isn't really a viable mail delivery here although UPS and FedEx deliver right to the door. So we check the mail about twice a week.

Well, that's about it for now. I've got to go out an pick some cucumbers before they get too big.

No comments:

Post a Comment