Monday, June 4, 2012

Monday, Monday


I took a short ride this morning. I wanted to get a picture of these flowers. They are locally called Thornapple but are also known as Sacred Datura. They were an important medicinal plant for the early Native Americans, even though all parts of the plant are extremely poisonous if ingested. Don't ask me how that works, but they are pretty.



They are similar in appearance to the Moonflowers that we have growing in gardens back home. Like the Moonflowers, they bloom at night and then close up during the day, meaning I had to get out at first light this morning to get these shots.


Back at the house, these hollyhocks were just starting to bloom.



I remember hollyhocks growing outside my grandmothers back door and I've wanted to get some going at my house but so far no luck. I like the singles,like these. I've tried just planting the seeds but have had only limited success. I just need to make a project of it. I've moved away from tomatoes at home so now maybe I can concentrate on flowers. Anyway, It's nice to see them here and it brings back the memories.

We wound up going to the wedding  yesterday. One couple had canceled and that made room for us to attend. It was held an upscale resort/golf community outside Flagstaff. A very pretty place with timber frame construction and a great view. The ceremony was performed by the uncle of the bride in an outside setting and then we moved indoors for a great dinner. We had salmon and it was very good. Then a DJ turned up the music and the party started. It was pretty much all 70's music. Most of the wedding party weren't even born when this music was first popular, but they really got down with it. We watched for awhile and then made the hour plus trip home in the twilight. I managed to see a few elk along the road on the way home.

I'm making headway on the new laptop but I've still got a ways to go. It's a Toshiba Satellite P755 with an i7 processor, 8 gigs of ram and a 750 gig hard drive. If that doesn't mean anything to you don't worry, most people's eyes start to glaze over when I start talking about it. Suffice to say it's better than the old one. I still have files to transfer and programs to install but at least I can get back on line and post.

No comments:

Post a Comment